On our way home from Kansas City we made a pit stop at the state fair in Des Moines. I know Doug was trying to sabotage all of my full day fair fun when he said, "Let's just take our time getting ready and on the road this morning, then we can stay at the fair longer tonight." He knew full well that we would have three completely exhausted kids when night fell, thus resulting in a shorter fair day for him. So we arrived at around noon and were ready to go by 6. But we still had a good time and I got the majority of my fair must sees and eats checked off.
First on the list: Feed Quinnie her first bites of state fair corn dog. Of course she loved it!
I had to call Aunt Sandy the minute we got there because I had two older kids who had spent waaay to much time together and needed a little break from each other. So we traded Ava for Lucas. I completely got the better end of the deal.
Lucas loves himself some ostriches so of course we had to get a pic with their furry and completely petrifying friend.
The King Dork of the Pieper family.
But I mean come on, this does look pretty realistic wouldn't you say?
These two can go months without seeing each other and just pick up right where they left off. And they do. not. shut. up. I don't know how long you can talk about Pokemon or whatever the hell they talk about. Honestly, I just tune it out.
Here they are checking out the Big Boar.
Caden and Lucas and a giant pumpkin.
I love that the fair is all about everything in humongous size. I would like to see more of that crap. Maybe the biggest slice of cheesecake (mmmmm), or the biggest hairball (gross), or even possibly the biggest person that can actually walk. Seriously, that is one part of the fair that just boggles my mind. If you are that obese that you have to ride in an electronic scooter why the hell would you venture out to a place that is completely crowded with a sea of people and hot as hell? But it does make good people watching material.
They obviously have yet to master the whole "make a picture look like your actually holding something". Instead we get two 9 year olds doing a nineties style "raise the roof" dance move.
I think I said last year that we went on the busiest day of the fair. Well I take it back, because this year was by far the crowdest (this clearly is not a word) I have ever seen it. It made me think twice about possibly skipping next year. The lines were long for everything, people were everywhere, it was a disaster.
We met up with Ava and headed over to the Little Hands on the Farm. One of my favorite parts about the fair. Even Quinnie got in on the action and played farmer.
Here goes Ava riding the tractor!
Quinnie took a ride too, with help from Daddy and Caden.
She is a true State Fair girl full of tat's, sweat, and a big grin.
Quinnie was a very good girl the entire day and even took a little nap in the afternoon.
That night we headed to what the kids had been waiting for all vacation, to spend the night at the Pieper's house! Hold back the excitement! Thanks for letting us crash John and Sandy (and for the delicious donuts in the morning)!












No comments:
Post a Comment