Ava had her first day of kindergarten on August 18th. We went the night before to meet her teacher and bring all her school supplies. She was extremely excited for the next day to say the least. I brought her to school in the morning and she gave me a huge hug and was off to the playground where they get to play before school in the morning. She did a little walk around trying to find someone she knew, then she was off and away I went to work. No tears from me = success.
The next day I wanted to walk with her to the bus stop so she could get used to riding the bus. We waited, and waited, and then waited some more and no bus. Now I do need to point out that her bus stop that she gets picked up at in the morning is literally right behind the school and there were several kids who walked right past us to school. But I just don't feel comfortable letting my 5 year old naive and mischievous girl walk to school ALONE. So since the bus never came that day we walked the rest of the way to school. Of course to make matters worse she fell when we got there and scraped her knee and was trying to be brave and not cry but there weren't any teachers out there yet. And of course a little bit bigger girl had to come and ask if she was o.k. and Ava nodded one of those, "I'm not really o.k. but your bigger than me so I'm going to play it off" nods. I had to leave her hobbling away sniffling because I had to get to work because I was late from the bus fiasco. Definitely tears on the walk back from school from me = complete failure.
Since then, we finally got the bus schedule figured out after forgetting her AGAIN and she has been having a great time at school.
Ava Irene Schrage
August 18th, 2011
5 Years Old
Kindergarten - Central Springs Elementary
Of course she had to do a little posing. And of course I reeeally need to clean my front steps. Yikes....
A quick picture with her student teacher for the year, Mrs. Clark, who is actually a family friend!
Ava rides the bus home and gets dropped off two houses away from our house. If this doesn't make your heart melt I don't know what will!
The only thing I have heard from her teachers is that she had a little trouble at first with not worrying about what the other students were doing and letting them be the teachers and not her. Which is completely something she would pull. She has already been learning lots of new things and does an amazing job of telling me what they do every day.
But I think the Quinner has been missing her big sister during the day. When we get home she goes right to our big picture window to watch for the bus and gets very excited when she sees it go by. She is obviously too fast for me to get a good picture of either!
I haven't really done a write up of what we have been up to either so here it goes!
Quinn: She is really starting to say words and make certain sounds. She has moved from Dada to Daddy (which she says all. the. time.) MaMa to Mommy. She can also say cracker, puppy, kitty, Kizzy, Sissy, Mine, Don't (of course two of her favorites), ball, cookie, and I'm sure more I can't think of. She absolutely loves reading books and especially Lift the Flap books and has several favorites. She still loves taking baths with Ava but when she is ready to get out she wants out NOW! She still lets me rock her to sleep in her room every night and we even got the potty chair out last night which she loved playing with and sitting on. Quinnie loves to dance and has some pretty good River Dance moves down too.
Ava: She has decided that she wants to be a ghost for Halloween (how original). She has started to become a great little helper around the house too and knows if she wants to watch cartoons she has to clean and vacuum a room for me, which she is getting better at every time. She loves going to the park or riding her bike, or playing out in the backyard making mud pies with Cooper. She is still very opinionated and independent which makes me proud yet on my last nerve 24/7. She also started gymnastics a couple weeks ago and has been loving it!
Caden: He can definitely see the teenage years in his future as he has started to get a bit mouthy with us. Which is kind off shocking for the sweet boy he has always been. He also got a cell phone but is not allowed to have it at our house. (Yes, maybe I am still in the stone age but I don't see the need for a 9 yr old to text, when he spells half the words wrong anyway). But he still has lots of goofy young boy in him and just can not wait until next year when he can play Tackle Football.
Doug: Same old shit, different day....
Just kidding! Work has been picking up for Doug so longer days for him and less time at home which sucks for everybody all around. But he is a great help We work together really well to make it all work. I hate when people say their husband is a great help. You don't hear husbands say my wife is a great help, because lets face it, they are the damn help and do 80% of what makes a house run. No offense to Mr. Mom's out there. Husbands shouldn't be a help they should be half of it! (Enough ranting)
Me: When Ava started Kindergarten I started working from 6:30-3:00 every day so that I can be home when she gets off the bus. And I honestly don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I have tried to keep us on a little schedule every night which has actually been working out awesome. I never realized what just an hour or two more with the girls can do. We just play, go to the park, library, whatever without having to rush to get dinner on the table or the house picked up. I love it! With that means that Doug has been taking them to daycare in the morning. He has been doing a great job up until yesterday when I went to pick up Quinn and she still had her jammies on under her clothes.......






No comments:
Post a Comment